Point6 offers heights and cushion levels to suit any activity and condition you're in, and we have perfected the structure of our socks over the past 30 years. The variety of cushion types allows you to find maximum comfort for any activity and foot type, however, it can be daunting to understand the details.
When it comes to choosing a sock, many people believe the thickness of the sock is correlated to the warmth of the sock. Need a warmer sock—buy a thicker sock. Seems reasonable, but this is not how you should shop for merino wool. The miracle of merino is that it will keep you warm when it's cold AND cool when it's hot. Point6 merino wool is "smart" when it comes to temperature control because of the air pockets that are created within the compact-spun merino yarn. Temperature control is related to air pockets and to a lesser extent about the amount of wool yarn used in the sock construction.
The most important consideration when choosing a sock should be the amount of space you want or need between your foot and your chosen footwear. If you are in a tight-fitting boot or snug running shoe, then choose an Ultra Light sock. This thin sock allows the movement of your foot to transition to the boot or shoe more immediately which enables high performance. As your footwear becomes more spacious and there's more volume to fill between your foot and footwear, then chose a sock with padding and extra thickness to fill that space.
Be careful not to chose a sock that has too much thickness for your footwear. In this scenario, the wool will compress into the allowable space between your foot and the footwear. This compression will actually reduce the amount of air pockets in the wool limiting the wool's ability to manage temperature. The compression will also put pressure against your foot restricting blood flow and circulation, resulting in cold feet in winter, extra hot feet in summer and blisters.
This guide describes the cushioning of Point6 socks and which sock types are recommended for different footwear. If you have any questions as you're shopping, please contact our customer service team directly: email@example.com.
ULTRA LIGHT (NO CUSHION)
- No extra cushion anywhere throughout the sock.
- Designed for optimal performance in very tight-fitting boots and shoes, such as alpine ski boots and running shoes.
- Ultra Light Over-the-Calf (OTC) socks do not include any extra cushion throughout the full sock.
EXTRA LIGHT (SLIGHT CUSHION UNDERFOOT)
- This sock is an Ultra Light structure with an Extra Light cushion added under foot. The cushion is an alternating stitch pattern of one row terry loop and one row flat knit, resulting in half as much cushion as our Light cushion socks.
- This sock is great for snug footwear that needs just a little cushion under the foot with very little additional volume. This added cushion will provide comfort during high impact activities over a longer period of time. i.e. skiing, running, cycling and hiking
- Extra Light Over-the-Calf (OTC) sock is an Ultra Light structure with Extra Light cushion both under foot and against the shin for slightly more padding.
LIGHT (STANDARD CUSHION UNDERFOOT)
- This sock is an Ultra Light structure with a standard cushion added under foot. Instead of using the alternating pattern (see Extra Light), the standard cushion is added with a consistent pattern of standard weight terry loop stitching under the foot.
- These socks provide a bit more cushion under the foot and a little extra volume to protect feet from discomfort during high impact activities over a longer duration. i.e. skiing, running, cycling and hiking
- Light Over-the-Calf (OTC) sock is an Ultra Light structure with Light cushion both under foot and against the shin for more padding.
MEDIUM (STANDARD CUSHION SURROUNDS THE FOOT + LEG)
- Knit with the standard weight cushion (identical to a Light model) under foot and throughout the full sock structure, surrounding the entire foot and leg of the sock.
- Medium cushion socks are great for shoes with room for volume and when you plan to trek a little longer. Great for looser-fitting boots and footwear such as hiking boots, every day footwear and lounge wear.
- Medium Over-the-Calf (OTC) socks have Medium cushion throughout the entire sock.
HEAVY (CUSHION SURROUNDS THE FOOT + LEG)
- Knit with a heavy weight cushion. Cushion surrounds the entire foot and leg of the sock.
- Heavy weight cushion socks are great for larger, loose-fitting boots such as work boots and boots for winter fishing, hunting, trekking and mountaineering. Also comfortable as an alternative to slippers.
- Heavy Over-the-Calf (OTC) socks have heavy weight cushion throughout the full sock.
EXTRA HEAVY (CUSHION SURROUNDS THE FOOT + LEG)
- Knit with a extra heavy weight cushion. At Point6, we call this our Mammoth Extra Heavy Mid-Calf. This Extra Heavy sock has Extra Heavy cushion throughout the full sock.
- Extra heavy cushion socks are great for filling the space in extra large footwear, rubber boots and mountaineering gear.